Can You Recover Damages After a Rideshare Accident in New Hampshire?
People who do not have a car in Manchester and other parts of New Hampshire cannot imagine their lives without Uber and other rideshare companies. In fact, even motorists who have their own vehicles occasionally use ride-hailing services.
However, there have been many controversies surrounding Uber, Lyft, and other rideshare companies in the U.S. in recent years. Two of the most prominent controversies are related to:
- Physical and sexual assault when using rideshare companies; and
- Rideshare car accidents.
Can You Seek Compensation for Your Injury in a Rideshare Accident in New Hampshire?
Many users of Uber and Lyft wonder, “Will I be compensated for my personal injury if I get injured in a rideshare accident?” Fortunately, yes, if you have been injured in a rideshare accident in Manchester or elsewhere in New Hampshire, you may be able to seek compensation for your injury.
This can be done by pursuing a claim against the party whose negligence caused your injury. However, when filing a claim, it is advised to consult with an experienced car crash lawyer in Manchester to help you recover damages for your rideshare accident.
Recovering Damages from the Rideshare Company
But can you actually seek compensation from Uber, Lyft, or another rideshare company whose driver was involved in a rideshare crash? Both Uber and Lyft provide liability insurance coverage that will kick in when a rideshare driver had the company’s app on and was working at the time of the crash.
Liability coverage for Lyft and Uber can range from $50,000 per bodily injury to $1 million in third-party liability coverage depending on the “coverage period.” There are three coverage periods in rideshare accidents:
- The driver had the company’s app on but did not accept a ride request at the time of the crash;
- The driver accepted a ride request and was on their way to pick up a passenger when the accident occurred; or
- The driver had a passenger in their car when the collision happened.
Why You Should File a Claim After a Rideshare Accident in New Hampshire
There are at least three reasons why you should file a rideshare accident claim:
- Seek compensation for your injury. You need to file a claim to obtain compensation and cover your medical expenses, loss of income, pain and suffering, and other losses caused by the rideshare accident.
- Hold the rideshare driver or their company responsible. The only way to hold a negligent rideshare driver or the rideshare company accountable for their negligence is to pursue a legal claim against them.
- Prevent future rideshare accidents. By filing a claim, you can bring everyone’s attention to the dangers of rideshare accidents. This, in turn, could potentially reduce the risk of future accidents involving Uber, Lyft, and smaller rideshare companies.
What Damages Are Available in Rideshare Accident Claims?
The damages that victims may receive when filing a rideshare accident claim vary from one case to another. Typically, damages awarded in personal injury cases stemming from rideshare accidents can be categorized as:
- Compensatory damages, which include economic and non-economic damages. These are any losses related to the victim’s injury, including medical bills, loss of income, and others; and
- Enhanced punitive damages, which are intended to compensate the victim for the aggravating circumstances of their injury. These damages are available only when the defendant’s actions were particularly egregious.
Talk to our Manchester car accident lawyers at the Law Office of Manning & Zimmerman. Schedule a consultation with our attorneys by calling 603-624-7200 or 800-984-3151 to help you receive the compensation you deserve.