Switch to ADA Accessible Theme Close Menu
Manchester Personal Injury Attorney / Blog / Personal Injury / Sexually Assaulted By Someone You Trusted? How to Sue in New Hampshire

Sexually Assaulted By Someone You Trusted? How to Sue in New Hampshire


According to the latest statistics, victims are more likely to suffer sexual assault at the hands of people they trust. Unfortunately, many people abuse their positions of trust and power, taking advantage of innocent people and causing lifelong trauma and issues. If you have been a survivor of sexual abuse by someone in your life, you may be able to take civil legal action against your abuser in addition to participating in the criminal justice system. . How exactly do you do this in New Hampshire? Let’s find out:

Sexual Assault vs. Sexual Harassment vs. Sexual Abuse 

The terms sexual assault, sexual harassment, and sexual abuse may all be used interchangeably in everyday conversation. However, each of these terms has a very specific legal meaning:

  • Sexual Assault: Sexual assault includes crimes like rape, fondling, and other forms of “sexual violence.” This often constitutes a criminal offense and may also result in criminal charges for the perpetrator.
  • Sexual Harassment: The term “sexual harassment” generally refers to incidents that take place in workplaces, schools, or rented housing. These incidents often result in civil lawsuits or Human Rights Commission claims rather than criminal charges.
  • Sexual Abuse: While sexual abuse can affect anyone, this term is mostly used in the context of sexual violence against children. As an example, you may have heard of the many sexual abuse lawsuits have been filed against organizations like the Catholic Church, New Hampshire’s YDC, and others.

How Do I Pursue Justice?

 If you have experienced any of the above crimes, you may have the ability to sue. In many cases, the actual abuser will face criminal charges for their actions. While it may provide a sense of justice to see your abuser behind bars, you still may have serious, life-changing issues to deal with. In order to gain compensation for these losses, you will need to file a lawsuit.

You may be able to file your lawsuit against the organization that allowed or facilitated the abuse. For example, if you were abused by your teacher, you may be able to file a lawsuit against the school for hiring a dangerous individual and allowing this abuse to take place. Or, if you were abused by a staff member while incarcerated at a YDC facility, you may be able to bring a claim through the YDC Claims Fund or file a lawsuit, depending on when the abuse occurred.

Where Can I Find an Experienced Sexual Assault Lawyer in New Hampshire?

 If you’ve been searching for a qualified, experienced Manchester personal injury lawyer, look no further than the Law Office of Manning Zimmerman & Oliveira PLLC. With our assistance, you can hold your abuser accountable and recover compensation for everything you have been forced to endure. Depending on the specific facts of your matter, even if your abuse occurred many years ago, you may still have the ability to bring a claim, especially if your abuse occurred at one of New Hampshire’s YDC facilities. The only way to know for sure is to book a consultation and speak with us. Reach out today, and we can help you pursue justice.




Facebook Twitter LinkedIn