Skip to main content

Exit WCAG Theme

Switch to Non-ADA Website

Accessibility Options

Select Text Sizes

Select Text Color

Website Accessibility Information Close Options
Close Menu
Law Office of Manning Zimmerman & Oliveira PLLC

Manchester Car Accident Attorney

According to the New Hampshire Highway Safety Plan 2018, traffic deaths in the state rose from a historic low of 90 fatalities in 2011 to 136 deaths in 2016. Fatalities climbed in nearly every type of accident: there were more speed-related deaths, more alcohol-related deaths, and more deaths where the occupant was unrestrained by a seat belt. Surprisingly, driver inattention was one of the few areas where deaths did not increase, despite the problem of distracted driving continuing to grow and reach epidemic proportions nationwide.

The most recent data revealed 29,862 crashes reported in New Hampshire in one year, accounting for hundreds of serious injuries. Manchester car accident attorneys Maurenn Raiche Manning and Anna Goulet Zimmerman have a combined 50 years of experience helping car accident victims in Manchester, Concord, Nashua and throughout New Hampshire get the medical care they need along with the financial compensation they deserve after being injured in a crash caused by a negligent, speeding, drunk or distracted driver. Contact the Law Office of Manning Zimmerman & Oliveira PLLC after a New Hampshire car accident for personal service from our dedicated legal team.

How are Car Accident Claims Handled in New Hampshire?

Unlike Massachusetts and other states with no-fault car insurance laws, New Hampshire is a “fault” state when it comes to liability and compensation for car accident injuries. This means that if you get hurt in a car accident and another driver is at fault, that driver is responsible for paying you for your damages. Legal damages after a car accident can include property damage, medical expenses, your lost income if you missed work or became disabled from working, pain and suffering, and more. If the other driver has liability insurance, their insurance company is responsible to you. If they are uninsured and lack assets that could be collected, you’ll need to look to your uninsured motorist coverage for assistance or pursue a claim against the other driver personally. In any of these situations, the Law Office of Manning Zimmerman & Oliveira PLLC can fight for you and help you hold the responsible driver accountable by making a claim for the compensation you deserve.

New Hampshire drivers are not required to carry automobile liability insurance per se, but they are required to show proof of financial responsibility up to specific minimum amounts. These amounts are $25,000 for bodily injury to one person in an accident, $50,000 if more than one person is injured, and $25,000 for property damage. Most people choose to meet the financial responsibility requirement by purchasing auto liability insurance, and many people opt for coverage above the minimum required amounts to protect their home and other assets in case of a lawsuit.

According to New Hampshire RSA 264:16, if you buy auto insurance for personal use, you must also purchase at least $1,000 in Medical Payments coverage (Med Pay). This money can be used for your medical expenses regardless of who was at fault in the accident. RSA 264:15 of the New Hampshire statutes requires that if you buy auto insurance, you must also purchase uninsured motorist (UM) coverage in the same amounts of your liability coverage. UM coverage can be used if the negligent driver who hit you was uninsured, or if their insurance does not cover your damages. About one in ten New Hampshire drivers don’t carry insurance, so UM coverage offers affordable protection in those instances.

What do I do after an accident?

First, get yourself to a safe location out of traffic. Obtain First Aid for yourself and others, and call 9-1-1 if any injuries require immediate medical attention. You can also use 9-1-1 to report the accident and call police officers to the scene to make a report of the crash. While at the scene of the accident, exchange information with the other driver, such as name and contact information, and the name and contact number of your insurance companies. You’ll need to notify the insurance company (yours or theirs) soon after the accident.

Whether or not you were treated for injuries on the scene or taken to the hospital, if you have any injuries it’s a good idea to follow up with a doctor after the accident for a thorough examination. If your doctor recommends treatment, follow the doctor’s orders and save all your medical bills and receipts.

Don’t get your car fixed until it’s been examined by the insurance company. You’ll need to cooperate with the insurance investigator by allowing them access to your vehicle, but don’t sign any statements or authorize a release of medical records until you have talked to a lawyer. The insurer may ask for more information than they are entitled to in an effort to undermine your claim.

Call an experienced car accident attorney as soon as you can after the accident. Your lawyer will advise you on how to deal with the insurance company or take over that responsibility on your behalf. Your lawyer can also arrange medical care for you, including at a deferred cost so you will not have to pay out of pocket while your claim is ongoing.

Get Excellent Legal Advice and Representation after a New Hampshire Car Accident

There are thousands of attorneys in New Hampshire, and a great many of them practice personal injury law. Choose a Manchester car accident law firm staffed with experienced, successful attorneys who have handled cases like yours and achieved outstanding results, while at the same time taking a personal interest in your needs and well-being. After a car accident in Manchester, Nashua, Concord or elsewhere in New Hampshire, contact the Law Office of Manning Zimmerman & Oliveira PLLC in Manchester at 603-624-7200 or 800-984-3151 for a free consultation.

Share This Page:
Facebook Twitter LinkedIn

Law Office of Manning Zimmerman & Oliveira PLLC

By submitting this form I acknowledge that form submissions via this website do not create an attorney-client relationship, and any information I send is not protected by attorney-client privilege.

Skip footer and go back to main navigation